Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Prepared List

The closer deer season gets the more I start thinking about all the things I could be forgetting on opening day.  Most of what I look at is what is going in my hunting bag.  I know that not everyone uses a bag to hunt with but most of these can still apply to every hunter.  I’ve compiled a list of things that I’m always sure to remember to have in my bag and ready for the season.
1.       Deer tags and hunting license.  The number one priority for a hunter should be that they are properly licensed before going out for the hunt.  The easiest place for me to keep and organize them is in my hunting bag.  I put them in a side pocket on their own in a zip-lock bag to protect them from the elements. 
2.       Zip ties.  The zip ties are used to attach the deer tag permit after a kill.  The last thing you want is to be caught with a killed deer without any way of attaching your tag. 
3.       Flashlight.  A flashlight or a headlight is an essential for a hunt.  If you’ve ever gone in the woods without one in the early morning you know what kind of trouble it can cause. 
4.       Knife.  This is the tool of tools for hunters.  When a kill has been made, you’ll always need a good sharp knife to field dress the deer.
5.       Scent blocker.  The one thing you’ll miss the most and blame a bad hunt on if you forget it is the scent blocker.  After walking to a tree, spraying off and ensuring a good protection from foreign smells is a must.
6.       Extras.  Have extra gloves and an extra facemask can be the difference between a good save and disaster if something happens to your primary set.  Being prepared with a backup is something that every hunter can appreciate.
As a list goes, this may be quite short for most but it really covers the most often forgotten items.  If anything, keep these six items in mind the next time you are packing your bag for a hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment