When I’m walking through the woods early in the season, I see a lot of areas I’d really like to hunt. It’s difficult to judge which places will produce the best results in some cases but I’m usually not concerned with that right away. The first thing I think about is the wind. The wind is the make or break for a spot though I know many hunters pay little to no attention to this. The deer rely on their sense of smell to avoid danger and if they smell trouble, guess what, they aren’t coming.
One of my biggest concerns with hunting a spot is hunting on or near a hillside. I’m no meteorologist, but I do know that wind can swirl and hills are where they like to do this. When air is blowing over the top of a hill, you can get rolling wind along the side of the hill as it passes over. This wind pattern can shift a consistent wind up and down the hill. This can cause a lot of problems for anyone hunting on the base of a hill. I have seen deer that were coming towards the tree against the prevailing wind and stop short smelling my scent. The lead doe put her nose up and I knew what had happened. The wind swirled around the side of the hill I was hunting on and rolled my scent right to her. Hunting without regard to the wind can cost you and getting an idea of how the winds act can save you a lot of trouble.
No comments:
Post a Comment