Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Coyotes

One of the most common questions and comments I hear from deer hunters isn’t about deer at all, it’s about coyotes.  These canines are a common enemy of deer hunters and many seek to eradicate them from every stretch of the woods they hunt.  I’ve often wondered if they deserve the reputation they get but time and time again, I see deer act extremely adversely to them and with good reason.   Coyotes are the primary predators of deer, other than hunters that is, in Illinois.  Many of the hunters I talk to say that they will shot every coyote that walks within shooting range.  The question is will any attempt to eradicate them meet with success?
I’m lucky enough to have a sister who graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in wildlife management who understands the concerns that hunters have with coyotes.  I talked to her about the problems I’ve had with them and asked her what she thought about systematically shooting them.  She had some interesting insight about my concerns and questions.  She said that when hunters try to put serious hunting pressure on them, they respond in the best evolutionary way possible.  They can actually sense the increase in hunting pressure and will reproduce more rapidly and with more pups per litter. 
I would have been skeptical of this insight coming from anyone else.  I don’t believe her just because we’re related but because she spent six months studying coyotes in the Welder Wildlife Park outside of Corpus Christi, Texas.  She did say that they are certainly a nuisance to deer and won’t be acting in the favor of deer hunters anytime soon.  So shooting few here and there won’t hurt but be prepared if you’re plan is to exterminate the herd.  You’ll be getting more than you bargained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment