Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Late Season Hunt Blog on Wiredtohunt.com

I was surfing through some blogs and came across another hunter at wiredtohunt.com who has the same idea going through their head as I did the other day: late season hunts.   I was just explaining the other day about this topic so I thought; why not add on some more?  This is a great time to be hunting and for those who are willing to go out when others won’t, rewards are out there to take.   He brought up some great points about why the hunt should continue even if the cold has set in. 
One of them was what he called “the second rut.”  I’m not a fan of the wording but he’s right about one thing for certain: the rut is still on even when it’s cold.  If you’re willing to wait it out, there are still going to be late blooming does who come into estrus late and the bucks won’t ignore them even if it’s cold.
Another was about the cold and the snow.  When the snow falls, those deer have food on the brain and they will be hitting the food sources.  The bigger bucks will be coming out last like he says, but all it takes is that one time you’re in the right place at the right time and one bruiser will come by.
One point that the author is missing is the decreased hunting pressure.  For those of us who spend some time or all of our hunting time on public ground, the cold keeps the weekend warriors at home and gives you the chance to make it big.  With less hunters in the woods, you’ll increase the odds that their won’t be someone walking in on you every half an hour till dark going to a tree stand.
Another point about late season hunting I’d like to add is the grouping.  Some hunters have a hard time believe that deer can herd up in big numbers late season.  I can tell you from years of numerous late season hunts that when the cold is in, the deer can swarm feeding grounds like locusts.  If the deer have a reliable food source to go to, they will come.  Being set up with the right wind in the right funnel should give you the opportunity to get close to some nice whitetails.

No comments:

Post a Comment