Hunting in the early part of November can be incredible. Whitetail deer are on the move and in rut so getting out is essential. I was able to hunt today even and was looking forward to having another chance to see the nine and a half year old six point. He has been showing up on trail cameras regularly for the last week working scrapes and patrolling the area. The chances of him walking right by me though are so slim it's nearly impossible but if I wanted a chance to shoot him I had to try.
The winds were coming strong out of the Northwest all afternoon at around fifteen to twenty miles an hour. The clouds were starting to build overhead and it really looked like it could be a great hunt. I got into the stand at and set up by around three o'clock. On the walk in I saw a doe standing in the field already and knew it was go time. Not long after being in the tree, two does made their way towards my stand on the wood's edge. After a few minutes of them standing around and watching behind them, in came the buck.
The buck was probably a two and a half year old buck with his right antler having a nice four point frame. On his left antler, after a close look, he had broken off all of the antler except for a small piece sticking out and away from his brow tine. When he walked in you could tell he thought he was king of the hill. He chased the does around in front of the tree while working up a scrape and making a rub. All three of the deer ended up walking right under the stand. It really makes a hunt when you can see deer act the way they did instead of them just walking by.
No comments:
Post a Comment