Every deer hunter has needs. Some may be more wants than needs but they’re all dependent on how we hunt. Hunting in southern Georgia isn’t the same as hunting in northern Iowa or western Pennsylvania. Hunters in all these areas require different equipment to hunt effectively. Many of the fundamentals are the same but every hunter needs to pin point what it is going to take to be effective in their pursuit of whitetails.
Something that I found interesting about different equipment is how bow holders that screw into the tree can vary. I bought one from Cabela’s a few years ago and found that the screw that you fed into the tree always had a hard time getting started. I still have to bring a screw in tree step in the pack to make a starting hole to put the bow hold in. After the starting hole is made there’s never any trouble but trying without one is futile. It’s a minor inconvenience to have to have a screw in step but doable. Hunting in Illinois, we have a lot of hardwoods like oak, ash, and hickory. What I found out was the makers of the bow holder are from Georgia. For them, hunting softer trees is much more common so having s piercing screw isn’t entirely necessary.
When it comes to needs, some of us hunt around twelve to fifteen feet off the ground while others hunt over twenty. I prefer to be over twenty but finding an affordable way to get up that high is kind of a challenge. Sure you could use screw in steps but it’s such a hassle to have to screw in that many steps, especially when you’re hunting over twenty trees. I’ve found that having sets of climbing sticks made can be a cheap and effective way to go. I use two twelve foot sections for each set which gets me a solid twenty-four feet up the tree.
What needs drive you should determine your equipment. Just because it’s advertised on television doesn’t mean you need it. Be practical and hunt smart. Knowing what you need to be effective can be the determining factor for your hunts ever year.
Stay connected, visit my website at http://www.whitetailconnections.webs.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment